Thursday, October 25, 2012

Wednesday 10/24/2012 from David, Panamá


Furniture decisions on a rainy day
I woke up this morning to pouring rain! Usually it rains in the evening but mornings are clear. The rain made it easier to sleep though, so I slept until 7 rather than my usual 5:30 or 6. I know, who would have thought, me getting up at that hour. But, it seems everyone and everything gets up before dawn in this city and when you wake up that early, you get tired early, and somehow I've just gotten into that routine. 
One more day until internet! Thankfully the internet in the park was working very well yesterday and I talked not only with Joel, but with both of my daughters as well which was great! I was also waiting for my traveling companion so I had plenty of time to talk, check emails, scroll through Facebook a bit, and feel almost back in touch for a little while. I didn't check the news though. Apparently there was another presidential debate. Right now I have no idea what is going on in the US or the rest of the world except for a few Facebook comments, and I'm trying to decide if it even matters. I don't think so. There is nothing I can do about any of it anyway.
I still can hardly wrap my head around what Joel told me. The movers are coming on FRIDAY! This Friday. The day after tomorrow. Then, he thinks it will only be a matter of days before he leaves. He and Ma could be here in as soon as early next week. I don't know if I will believe it until I see them. When I left, I thought it would be weeks before we were together so this is amazing news.
Lorraine, my traveling companion, is at the house now having returned from her many adventures in Costa Rica. It's nice to have company here. The house isn't so quiet and empty, and we always seems to have fun and lots to talk about. And, we have come up with good ideas.
I have been furniture shopping. I have found some possibilities but I just can't seem to whip out the plastic and commit to anything. Furniture costs SO much money and I've found things that would do, but nothing I am totally in love with. I don't think I've ever paid full price retail for furniture before and it's really hard to do it now. But, could we build furniture?! How hard can it be to make a table? A couch? A chair? There must be information on the internet. Joel is bringing tools. We love to build things. I'll bet we could do it, and for a fraction of the money. This is exciting! We could design whatever we want. So what if it isn't perfect? If its functional and we have fun doing it, why not! I imagine there are new and interesting woods available here. I know they grow teak, and I love bamboo.
So, new tactics. Find cheap plastic tables and chairs that will do while we make furniture. (Later they can be outdoor furniture.) Find sources for wood and materials. This is exciting :) If the family doesn't agree we can always whip out the plastic and have something here the next day, but I have a feeling an interesting project will win out over spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars to finish outfitting the house.
There were fireflies here last night. I haven't seen fireflies in ages. How cool to see the little glowing lights blinking in the yard. We also heard the birds with the amazing songs again. They sang in the woods across the street for a short time as the sun was setting. I like our home more every day.
Today we will find Lorraine a dentist. Today I really must get gas for the house, and a coffee pot. I haven't been drinking coffee but Lorraine likes it, and Joel too. 
This morning I saw a guy with a fishing pole head for the woods behind the house across the street. Apparently there is access to the river that way. When the weather clears up we'll have to go check it out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment