Thursday, October 25, 2012

Saturday 10/20/2012 from David, Panama


Getting by in the new neighborhood without internet
Ten days ago was the day I left Florida. Today is the second morning that I woke up in my own house in Panama. It still doesn't seem quite real. In a way it feels like little has changed. I'm in a residential neighborhood. The neighbors do very typical things, drive in and out, holler across the street to friends, work on things in the yard, send the kids out to play. But, if you listen, you realize it's all in Spanish, and you can't identify any of the bird songs except the roosters.
I don't have internet at the house yet. I see how much I am attached to the internet. It connects me with the people who are important to me. I connects me with so many things I take for granted. I can't find my dictionary. I probably didn't bring it because I can use on line translation. Find a business? Google, of course. My address book? On line. My family and friends? Facebook, email, skype. Last night I went to the park where they have free Wi-Fi provided by the government. I was happy to check email and call home. I was used to talking with Joel 2-3 times a day and this silence is the most difficult for me, especially now. I am in our house where we are supposed to be living together, but we are not together. I know this is the most useful thing to be doing at this time, but I will be glad when the solitary part is behind me.
But, little by little, I get by. I am very proud of myself because I called the cable/internet company and managed a successful conversation. Now I know they are coming on Thursday, and they have my correct phone number. Meanwhile, I will practice getting back and forth to the park.
I still feel tired. I suppose I should not be surprised under the circumstances! I must go to the park for the internet, but otherwise I don't feel like doing much today. I'll write, make some food, and paint some more. I definitely need to buckle down with the Spanish books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment