Thursday, October 25, 2012

Addresses in David, Panama, or lack of addresses


  I don't know if this applies to everywhere in Panama, but have a feeling it does. The situation seemed very similar in Panama City also. There are no addresses and very few street signs. My house has no address so to explain how to get here, I have to explain how to find the general neighborhood. Then I have to explain how to get to the specific house. It is similar with businesses also. You will see their address listed as a certain street between the two closest cross streets.

How does the mail get anywhere? It doesn't. There is no mail delivery. You either get a box at the post office or use general delivery. If you don't want to go to the post office you hire someone else to do it for you. Bills are taken around town by a currier on a bike (so I am told) and left stuck in your front gate (which I found at my house). My first day here I found a couple ads and a very soggy electric bill stuck in the gate! 

This has been by far my biggest challenge, finding things in this town

This is the actual official address of FedEx. We had a good time finding this one too and if it wasn't for Joel researching on the internet and giving me info by phone, I'd probably still be looking for it! 

Building Manuligo
H North Street
Ground Floor next to Fenix Travel Agency
David - CHI - Panama

No comments:

Post a Comment