Thursday, November 8, 2012

The household - the long process!


11/8/2012

Just an update, still trying to get settled, still feel like time is in short supply. Every day there is a list of things to do, and things don't happen quickly so by the time we get home and settled I'm out of steam and don't get much written here.

It looks like Ma may be staying here with us at our house. I think this is much better for everyone. She doesn't speak Spanish, and sometimes technology is difficult especially since her eyes aren't the best any more. What if she was alone and had a problem, and couldn't figure out her phone? Here, if she is alone its only a short time while we are doing shopping and errands. I wasn't looking forward to the prospect of setting up another household when we don't even have this one put together. How many waste baskets and frying pans and tables and chairs would that take?! You don't think about how much is in a house until you are faced with a totally empty house. How much would we worry and check on her, and split our time between two houses? We always have the option to change minds but realistically, I think this is the easiest and most sensible for everyone. So, we shall see how it goes.

Ma is very happy here in general. She loves the climate, the warm weather, the humidity high enough that your skin can't possibly dry out, the birds, the fresh fruit and produce at every meal, and the general feel of the country. She lived and worked in Guam for many years and loved it the best of anywhere she lived. She says this feels very much like Guam. It's hard to put your finger on exactly what it is, but I feel it too and know what she means. I think the main factor is the people. When you go in town you are not just a customer. You are a person and a friend. When you see your neighbors, you are not just a neighbor, you are like family. 

Spanish classes have started again for me this week, thank goodness. I am SO thankful for what I know, but I still struggle constantly to express myself and understand people. I admire anyone who is fluent in another language. It is so much to learn, and it's going take me years! But, little by little, I will keep at it and get better. Ma is studying now too. She has a book with print large enough to see, and she is practicing the phrases and knows some basic things. She thinks it is fun, but being the speech and English teacher she has a brain that works for this sort of thing. Me, not so much. I'm math/science oriented so language is a struggle.

Little by little the house is coming together too. We bought a sofa and recliner yesterday so the living room is starting to look like a living room. Unfortunately the chair isn't a good fit for ma though, so maybe tomorrow we can take her to the store to pick out something different. We still need storage though, and most things are still in boxes on the floors. I wish we could wave a magic wand! But, little by little we find our way around town, find more things we need, and get a few more things done.

Today, I hope to plant some plants I bought, and maybe start figuring out my website. I need an on line "home" for my writing, photography, pictures, and videos. I'd like to explore the woods around here a bit too.  And, of course Spanish homework continues and work on the house. Poco a poco! 

No comments:

Post a Comment