Friday, November 2, 2012

the End is In Sight! Leaving the US


Wednesday, 10/31

We are getting things wrapped up little by little and I'm crossing things off the list one by one. Our friends invited us to stay at their house last night and it felt really good to be with friends in a comfortable home. We had pizza and relaxed, and got to spend the night in a comfortable room. I also had internet access so I could do things like look up phone numbers, submit change of address, etc. We spent most of today switching utilities and wrapping up loose ends. It's so nice to be on friendly terms with the buyers because we have talked frequently to help each other transfer utilities and answer questions.

Tonight is dinner with friends, and probably a night in a hotel. I just can't get excited about sleeping on the floor, being old and spoiled and all that. One more day to liftoff!

Thursday 11/1

Today is THE DAY! I can't believe it. I think we are pretty much ready except for a few last minute phone calls and a bit of packing. I am trying to remain calm. I haven't been sleeping well. I seem to wake up very early with my brain in overdrive every morning, so I'm really tired. I was pretty exhausted even before I left for the US so by now I am really looking forward to getting back to the house! I need to rest and regroup for a while.

I am thankful for some very good friends, very very very thankful. My friend Karen invited us to stay at her house last night, so we didn't go to a hotel after all. It felt good to be with friends in a comfortable house, where she could keep patting me on the shoulder and reassuring me that the trip is going to go fine. My other friend Kat has been invaluable with helping ma clean out her apartment and tie up loose ends. Ma is all about helping people and being thrifty, and she just couldn't bring herself to pay someone to take all her stuff to the dump. She is so happy to know her things went to people who could use them. And, she got to keep a few essential things until the end. After we leave Kat is going to come get anything else that is usable and tie up loose ends. And, she is also buying Joel's car which is a huge help to us. We got to use it up to the end and leave it in ma's parking lot, so all we have to do is get a taxi to the airport. It's been such a huge help to have not only these wonderful friends, but many others who have helped us along the way. Friends have helped us get things done, shared experience and advice, and most important, been there for moral support and encouragement. Moving is stressful enough, and to be moving to another country with a 92 yr old mother, it's a bit crazy. Is it any wonder I'm feeling a bit stressed and exhausted?! But, most important of all, I have my best friend and partner with me again. The two of us are a force and can get most anything accomplished! We can do this. We are going to sleep in Panama City tonight, and tomorrow we are going to sleep in our own house in PANAMA!

Check in at the airport was a relief, and expensive one but it felt good to unload all that baggage. Three people, seven pieces of checked baggage, two of them overweight - $470 in excess baggage charges. We had enough time to relax for a bit, get something to eat, and just chill – literally. Do airports think everyone is wearing winter coats so they need to crank up the air conditioning? But, it felt good to have nothing to do for a change but wait for the flight, and then sit back and let someone else drive. I know we have the Panama City challenge with all the baggage, but that's for later.




(Joel and Ma waiting in the Miami airport for the flight to Panama City)



No comments:

Post a Comment